Learning entrepreneurship at Deloitte through Junior Achievement
Junior Achievement helps connect MNPS high school students in the Academies of Nashville with real-world learning opportunities at local businesses in Nashville. These hands-on experiences working alongside local professionals provide focus and motivation for our high school students. Samuel N. is a student in Antioch High School‘s Tennessee Credit Union Academy of Business and Finance. He writes about learning entrepreneurship in Junior Achievement’s Company Program at Deloittethis year.
My name is Samuel and I am a Marketing and Management student and DECA member at Antioch High School. I participated in the 16-week Junior Achievement Company program this year. We were mentored by three amazing volunteers from Deloitte who guided us through the business planning and implementation process. I enjoyed the whole experience of learning entrepreneurship because I know the lessons learned along the way will help me with my future business ventures.
The best part of participating in this program was our second trip to Deloitte. We met many entrepreneurs and high ranking people in the company. For example, we talked to Larry Quinlan and Peter Mays who were very extraordinary and motivational. Another speaker we had at Deloitte was Homer Britton, a graduate of Antioch High School. We also had some guest speakers from the community that came and gave us advice on our business. At the end of the day, we presented our business to a room full of business people. It was a little scary, but it went really well and we had a lot of positive feedback.
Overall the JA Company program was fun and informational, and I plan on participating in it again next year. Hopefully, next year we can make some more money!
- Paging the future Dr. Makiyah
- My Future My Way Career Exploration Fair
- Students visit Starbucks Distrubution Center
- Giving “Credit” to our Business Partners
- Innovation for All, Real-World Experience for High School Students
- Teacher team externship in global logistics at Ingram Content Group
- Preparing project-based learning in finance with Fifth Third Bank
- Scholarships awarded to Academy students by Cornerstone Financial Credit Union
- Junior Achievement Titan Business Challenge at Caterpillar Financial
- Dual credit and dual enrollment opportunities in business