Job shadowing in hospitality industry at Hilton Suites
In April, students from Antioch High School‘s Academy of Hospitality participated in job shadowing at the Brentwood Hilton Suites. This experience gave the students an opportunity to learn about the demanding work of running a hotel’s various operations. In this blog entry, Paola V. writes about spending the day at the hotel’s front desk.
My name is Paola Villarreal and I was given the opportunity to participate in job shadowing at the Brentwood Hilton Suites on April 12th. It was a great experience to be in a work environment and learn about the career options in a hotel. By beginning our visit with a tour of the building from the general manager, Tom Rybak, we were able to see all aspects of a hospitality business.
I was able to work with the front desk attendants, who taught me about all the work that goes into making a person feel comfortable in a foreign place such as a hotel. This career is difficult because the front desk personnel must know everything that is going on around the whole hotel. I was not the only one that got to work with individuals in the field; some of my peers worked in the kitchen or in housekeeping.
At the end of our time there, we had lunch with Mr. Rybak in the hotel restaurant. We were given the chance to discuss our experience and were given muffins that our culinary students had baked with the hotel chef. Overall we had a great day and I enjoyed job shadowing in the hospitality industry.
- Expect the Unexpected
- Paging the future Dr. Makiyah
- My Future My Way Career Exploration Fair
- Hillwood students learns the business of the arts
- Blood and Guts during Halloween Week
- Summer learning: connecting academics with the real world
- Academy partnership: Dialysis Clinic, Inc. and Glencliff High School
- Job shadowing at the Tennessee State Capitol
- Academy partnership: Just Cruisin’ Plus and the Academy of Hospitality at Antioch
- Job shadowing behind the scenes at the Bridgestone Arena