Teacher team externship with Meharry Medical College
Strong relationships with local academy partners is the key to building effective business engagement in our high schools. The Academies of Nashville provide students with meaningful, hands-on learning in context through unique partnerships with local businesses, non-profit organizations, and government agencies. The Teacher Team Externship Program gives teachers an opportunity to have a real-world professional experience at a host organization to develop a project-based curriculum that gives students industry exposure and applied learning.
Faculty and staff from the Academy of Medical Science and Research at Glencliff High School participated in a teacher team externship at Meharry Medical College last week. Throughout that experience, the faculty and staff were educated about health concerns prevalent to the school community. From the knowledge they gained during the teacher team externship, they have planned several interdisciplinary projects that bring awareness to students, parents, and community members about public health concerns.
This year, teachers have decide to continue with their 5K Run interdisciplinary project that focuses on diabetes. In addition to the 5K run, students will participate in a scavenger hunt, a health fair, and the American Heart Walk. Because all these things take time to plan, students will take an active role in planning, identifying the needs of the projects, and then the academy’s business partners, other academies within the school, and community members for marketing, expertise, and networking resources. Along with the planning and implementing of the events, students will make connections throughout the academic disciplines. These connections will help reiterate all the aspects of wellness: social, emotional, physical, medical and psychological.
One of the most important parts of this interdisciplinary focus is community involvement. Please help Glencliff create an awareness of healthy living by participating in the 5K Run in March 2013. We would love to have your support. More information will follow in the coming months at Glencliff High School.
- Academy partnership: Dialysis Clinic, Inc. and Glencliff High School
- Teacher team externship with Meharry Medical College
- Nurse training at Hillwood Academy of Health Sciences
- Job shadowing in health technology at HealthTeacher
- Dual credit and dual enrollment opportunities in health science
- Finding opportunity in spite of adversity at HOSA competition
- Lessons in healthcare and adversity through committed community partners
- Hunters Lane students blog to increase humanitarian spirit and community service in Nashville
- Maplewood junior thrives at Vanderbilt Sports Medicine workshop alongside other Tennessee students
- The Academies of Nashville at Hillsboro High School